A TEAM is made up of 5-10 people that have decided to organize and host a festive earthen building event so that the community can come together to help build a functional structure where unfired earth is the primary building material. With each year the team takes on larger projects such as a small room and dwelling structure.
The Goals/Responsibilities of the TEAM are to:
- hold regular meetings with food, art and team building.
- strengthen community spirit and develop teambuilding skills.
- raise necessary resources/assets/funds.
- develop leadership and community organizing skills.
- learn about and develop the art/science of community unfired earthen building.
- complete the construction of (a) functional earthen structure/s.
- organize community events.
- create a document that serves as a blueprint that can be used to replicate the process for future projects.
The Festive Earthen Building Events are all-inclusive warm weather/summertime events that make a positive difference in your community and which attract a wide range of support, contributions and participation from individuals and organizations.
Building The Structure: A large portion of what is required for building the structure happens at a main building event.
Preparation and Finishing Activities. Other activities before and after the main building event are required by the team in order to complete building the structure.
Before: sourcing and preparing materials, participants, and resources.
After: finishing/plastering the structure, thanking participants, collecting data for the next events.
Forming a Team
A Team is formed by a self appointed Team Leader and at least 4 others who use the FEBE Earthen Building Manual as a guide to take on roles with responsibilities in order to achieve the goals.
The roles and responsibilities for successfully organizing a festive earthen building event, can be divided up into 10 key areas /roles and responsibilities, handled by team members. In the beginning, each of the 5 team members can take on 2 roles each and eventually each role can be expanded and handled by a small team. (see Roles and Responsibilities of a Team)
Below is a formal process for selecting individuals to take on each of the key area officer positions. This process can be fun. Firstly there are nominations, then the selections are made followed by the inauguration.
- Nominations: The team leader organizes a simple nomination and election process whereby individuals nominate other individuals to hold any one of the key area officer positions. Individuals who are nominated become candidates. The person who nominated the candidate becomes the spokesperson for the candidate. The spokesperson gathers information from the candidate they nominated and then presents to the rest of the group as to why they feel that candidate is well suited to serve the team in that specific officer capacity.
- Selection: Next the group is asked to vote by raising their hand or using a secret ballot and if the majority of the people agree then the candidate becomes the officer and is sworn into their officer position at a subsequent Officer Inauguration Ceremony.
- Inauguration: The Officer Inauguration Ceremony led by the team leader takes place during a team meeting. The new officers tell the rest of the group about their roles and responsibilities and share their feelings, thoughts and plans for fulfilling their new role.